vernier graphing motion

From: Marc Crown (mcrown@gwhs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 17:07:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:07:04 -0700
From: Marc Crown <mcrown@gwhs.org>
Subject: vernier graphing motion

Has anyone used the vernier motion detector to graph speed? I have a
9th grade physical science class and I just taught them d/t graphs
and now I would like to reinforce the concept by having them walking
toward the motion detector. I have never used the equipment, let
alone tried to write up a lesson for it. Does anyone have anything I
could use as a draft or any inquiry based activities I could do with
it. My plan is to pose questions and have them draw their predictions
as d/t graphs, then test their predictions by having them do it and
then ask questions about any discrepancies.

The physics teacher at my school does it with his class but I'm
trying to keep it simple. These guys have barely grasped speed (and
have barely graphed speed.) I haven't covered acceleration yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas besides these.

1. walking forward at a constant velocity.

2. student at rest.

3. moving forward and speeding up to a constant velocity from rest.

4. moving forward and slowing down to rest from a constant velocity.

5. student starts moving forward from rest. His/her velocity
increases to a constant and then slows down to rest.

6. student starts moving backward from rest. His/her velocity
increases to a constant and then slows down to rest.

7. Mr. Crown starts moving forward from rest. His velocity
increases to a constant and he then slows down to rest. Next he
starts walking backwards and increases his velocity to a constant and
then he slows down to rest at his exact starting point.

Closure: Complete the following questions
1. What were three things that could have had a negative effect on
you experiment, while using the motion detector (observations)?

2. What does the slope of a displacement - time graph represent? How
about a velocity - time graph?

3. What do positive / negative slopes indicate for a displacement -
time graph. How about for velocity - time graphs?

4. What were some discrepancies between the computer-generated graphs
and yours? What caused these?