- Learning Studio - week of September 22

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 11:57:38 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:57:38 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 22

This is the weekly informative posting by the Exploratorium Learning Studio.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/

Oy! What a week!

I almost forgot to update and send this posting out.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska
The USGS page on "the largest tidewater glacier on the North American
continent". Earlier this year it blocked Russell Fiord to create North
America's largest glacier-dammed lake in historic times. On August 14 the
dam broke and the water spilled out with a peak rate of 54,000 cubic meters
per second (1.9 million cubic feet per second).

Photos of the development of the dam are included on this site.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

This week I reorganized our Hydrosphere page to better pull out items
related to the categories of Glaciers, River and Streams, and Snow and Ice.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/Hydrosphere.html

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Not much this week, in fact I found this one late Friday.

Additions for the week of September 22

New Books and Pamphlets:

Sculpture of the Exposition Palaces and Courts: Descriptive Notes on the
Art of the Statuary at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San
Francisco,
by Juliet Helena Lumbard James
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=5712

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu