- Learning Studio - week of September 29

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 11:06:51 PDT

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:06:51 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of September 29

This is the weekly informative posting by the Exploratorium Learning Studio.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

MIT OpenCourseWare

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

You probably heard about this project months ago when MIT first announced
it. The pilot site is now up for viewing. Eventually MIT will have all of
their course materials, including some textbooks, online.

SCIENCE NEWS:

Two news reports, one new one old, both dealing with parasites.

Malaria genomes cracked

A BBC report on the research into the genetic code of malaria and the
mosquito that carries it. This is something I have been following for
several months ever since I first heard of this project in New Scientist.

And in the category of old news:

Feeding on lizard blood strips ticks of dangerous Lyme disease bacterium

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/98legacy/04_17_98a.html

A posting on the PlanetMUG BBS cited this article from 1998. And you
thought those little fence lizards were just cute.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

This week I reorganized our Hydrosphere page to better pull out items
related to the categories of Glaciers, River and Streams, and Snow and Ice.

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Additions for the week of September 29:

New Books and Pamphlets:

1. 2003 Education Resources Catalog
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cdepress/catalog2003.pdf

2. Apollo Program Summary Report (1975),
by National Aeronautics and Space Administration
http://history.nasa.gov/apsr/apsr.htm

3. The Art of the Exposition: Personal Impressions of the Architecture,
Sculpture, Mural Decorations, Color Scheme and Other Aesthetic Aspects of
the Panama-Pacific International Exposition,
by Eugen Neuhaus
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=5771

4. From Certainty to Uncertainty: The Story of Science and Ideas in the
Twentieth Century
F. David Peat
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10248.html

5. Geomorphology from Space
edited by Nicholas M. Short, Sr. and Robert W. Blair, Jr
http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/DAAC_DOCS/geomorphology/GEO_HOME_PAGE.html

6. A Heat Transfer Textbook
by John H. Lienhard IV and John H. Lienhard V
http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum