Burners and/or Torches

From: Charlotte Lum (charjinglum@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 23:58:35 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:58:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Charlotte Lum <charjinglum@yahoo.com>
Subject: Burners and/or Torches

I want to
1) melt sugar and salt in test tubes to demonstrate the difference in
strength of ionic and covalent bonds.
2) burn pennies to show the difference between zinc and copper.

However, my school does not have gas lines or portable burners that I
can access.

So my questions are
1) Will a portable propane/bunsen burner do for both needs? A
previous teacher mentioned using a "torch" for the pennies.
2) Does anyone know where I can find one easily and inexpensively,
preferably in the east bay?

Thanks, from a new-to-physical-science-and-urban-school teacher,
Charlotte