Re: pinhole Burners and/or Torches

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 08:57:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:57:19 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Burners and/or Torches

The forces holding the sugar crystal together are London Dispersion forces
while the salt crystal is held together by ionic bonds.

On a scale where covalent bonds have a strength of 100 the London forces
have a strength of 0.001 to 0.1

So sugar melts at a lower temperature that covalently bonded solids (diamond)
Ionic bonds are closer to covalent in strength. So salt melts at a higher
temperature than sugar.

Paul D