Re: Pinhole Digest #1038 - 10/17/02

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 08:25:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:25:00 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1038 - 10/17/02

I am not sure of what you will be showing here. I thought melting sugar
kept the molecular sugar structure although broke the crystalline array.
Maybe it demonstrates that salt crystals involve ionic bonding and sugar
crystals merely hydrogen or partial ionic bonds of some sort; I did not
know there was such a difference between the energies of ionic and covalent
bonds. Steven Eiger
>I want to
>1) melt sugar and salt in test tubes to demonstrate the difference in
>strength of ionic and covalent bonds.
>2) burn pennies to show the difference between zinc and copper.
>
>However, my school does not have gas lines or portable burners that I
>can access.
>
>So my questions are
>1) Will a portable propane/bunsen burner do for both needs? A
>previous teacher mentioned using a "torch" for the pennies.
>2) Does anyone know where I can find one easily and inexpensively,
>preferably in the east bay?
>
>Thanks, from a new-to-physical-science-and-urban-school teacher,
>Charlotte

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148