Biology question on Photosynthesis

From: Erick Roldan (eroldan@phs.srcs.k12.ca.us)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 14:46:24 PST

From: "Erick Roldan" <eroldan@phs.srcs.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Biology question on Photosynthesis
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:46:24 -0800

Hello Everyone,
I was teaching photosynthesis in my biology class after having studied
respiration. I taught them about the light dependent reaction and the light
independent reaction (Calvin cycle). One of the students asked me a
question that I could not answer and I am wondering if anyone has the
answer....

In the Calvin cycle, CO2 is coming into the cycle and glyceraldehyde 3
phosphate (3-carbon structure) is coming out to form glucose. The question
is why can't that go directly into "glycolysis" without having to make a
glucose molecule?

The only thing I could find, and I am not sure on it...is a question of
solubility. Not all the G3P in the Calvin cycle are soluble and therefore
can not leave the chloroplast to reach the mitochondria to respiration. Is
that correct?

I'll wait to hear from you guys....thanks!!!

Erick Roldan
Piner H.S.
Santa Rosa, Ca.