testing for fossils

From: Sally Seebode (sseebode@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 13:34:38 PST

From: "Sally Seebode" <sseebode@earthlink.net>
Subject: testing for fossils
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:34:38 -0800

I have a student who is going to a site to look for fossils. He says the area is known for its shark teeth and vertebrate bones. He is interested in doing an extra credit project to see if he can test the different layers of earth to see the chemical differences in the fossil earth layer. Apparently fossil layers have a higher concentration of phosphates.(?) Is there a simple test he can perform on his trip next weekend? Are his statements accurate? Is there another chemical test that would be more informative that he can perform? I have access to standard highschool chemicals and can prepare solutions if necessary. I am not knowledgeable about fossils and would appreciate any help.

sally