Recommendation for Math Software

From: Meghan Nolan (meghan_nolan@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:36:52 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 05:36:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Meghan Nolan <meghan_nolan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Recommendation for Math Software

Dear Pinholers,

I am searching for recommendations for a self-guided,
computer-based Math program for one of my students who
is struggling in 7th grade Math. Anthony, my student,
has finally been tested (slipped through many cracks)
and the testing has confirmed that he is challenged by
extremely low skills audio processing (in the 1%) and
short term memory skills. I know that he is missing
so much of the Pre Algebra that we deliver, and is
generally overwhelmed by the curriculum across the
board. However, he has had math tutors in the past
and has built decent basic skills that we can bolster
with time, attention and a different approach.

Anthony loves computers and, for being as low skill as
he is, is a high will learner and wants to please. I
would love to offer Anthony a computer program that:

- He could follow on his own, but that I could check
to see his progress and his understanding (ie. to see
both that he is working and where he is
succeeding/mastering vs where he is still
challenged/needs help)

- Could rebuild some of Anthony's self esteem and
confidence in math...Anthony felt good about math back
when it was concrete...I want him to feel some success
in school

- Reinforces the following skills: operations with
decimals, order of operations, FRACTIONS, ratios,
operations with fractions, percent/decimal/fraction
equivalence, integers and operations with integers
(-/+), and word problem solving

- Introduces and strengthPre Algebraicraic concepts
like variables, writing expressions, evaluating
expressions, solving basic equations (one-step)

Thank you for reading such a long request and, in
advance, for any suggestions!

Meghan Nolan