Re: Recommendation for Math Software

From: TI Pinhole Listserv (pinhole1@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 14:50:47 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From: TI Pinhole Listserv <pinhole1@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for Math Software

Dear Meghan,
Sorry I didn't notice this sooner.
My daughter, who is now a h.s. senior, struggled with math as well. When
she was a sophomore, we had her tested at Sylvan Learning and found out
she basically had retained very little of her 5-8th grade math skills.

We had tried Kumon Math, individual tutoring (both by teachers and
students), and also some software. We found Math Blaster and Algeblaster
to be good. I'm not sure who makes them now, but they are out there. I may
even have a copy to give away. (I'll need to dig around at home.)

However, in the end, Sylvan was the best for my daughter. She was and is
motivated so she got that 4 years of math skills done in about 8 months,
while working on her current homework in algebra. She is now a b+ student
in Algebra 2 and enjoying it.

Deb

Deborah Hunt
Pinhole Technical Moderator