Centripetal vs. centrifugal force

From: Shannon McManus (shanmc4480@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:49:04 PST

From: "Shannon McManus" <shanmc4480@hotmail.com>
Subject: Centripetal vs. centrifugal force
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:49:04 -0500

I am introducing centripetal force to my physics classes and I really want
some demonstrations that will stress the "center-seeking" centripetal force.
  Some demonstrations that I have found so far seem to stress the
"centrifugal force." What can I do to clarify these two ideas. Also, I put
together the clear plastic tubing (used at the convection workshop) and spun
around in a circle. Am I correct in stating that this demonstration also
portrays the outward motion of the water? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shannon McManus