Centripetal vs. centrifugal force

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@exchange.esuhsd.org)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 14:02:53 PST

From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@exchange.esuhsd.org>
Subject:  Centripetal vs. centrifugal force
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:02:53 -0800

Heidi Strahm Black
Science Fair Coordinator
East Side Union HSD
408-347-6563

I am introducing centripetal force to my physics classes and I really want
some demonstrations that will stress the "center-seeking" centripetal force.

I had a great little bean bag on a string with colorful foot long ribbons
sewn on the sack. (I can't remember if I got it at a craft fair or a toy
store, but it would be easy to make) I would swing it around over my head
and simply say "now what happens if the string breaks?" and let it go
flying.
The ribbons helped to trace its path.