re: Leonids visited

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 17:47:27 PST

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:47:27 -0800
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: re: Leonids visited

>We did it! We had a wonderful time, even with the almost full moon blinding
>us, ha! We did a count from 2:40 - 2:50 and will send that to NASA. We are
>going to write more later on Ale's site.
>

>... for those of you who were watching in the wee hours, what planet
>was that in the eastern sky?

Sue,

I'm surprised nobody answered your question by now.

At this time of year, you can see both Saturn and Jupiter in the night sky
in the wee hours.

Since it's closer to the sun (heliocentric)/earth (geocentric), Jupiter's
eastern progression against the background of the stars is greater than
Saturn's. Presently, it's East of Saturn and, from year to year, it will
appear further east of Saturn early in the morning at this time of year.

Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM, Saturn was around 40 degrees East of the moon
and Jupiter, 90 degrees. So, you should have seen two planets if the sky
was clear.

ron