Re: Pinhole Digest #1069 - 11/24/02

From: Joe Leet (jleet@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 11:11:55 PST

From: "Joe Leet" <jleet@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1069 - 11/24/02
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:11:55 -0800

I have a question about a chemical reaction that I am hoping someone can
help me with.

On Friday, a collegue of mine tried to make soap in his classroom. For the
most part it was a success, except he did not tell his students not to use
any sort of metal as the mold for their soaps. One of his students did
indeed use an aluminum pie tin for this.

It created a pretty nasty reaction. I was called down to help him get all
of his students out of the classroom because the air had become impossible
to breathe.

Our concern is what exactly was produced that filled the air when the NaOH
reacted with the aluminum pie tin?

Thanks a lot.

Joe