Subject: Re: pinhole zinc pennies in HCl

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 08:54:14 PST

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:54:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Subject: Re: pinhole zinc pennies in HCl

While I worked in a steel mill for a while I had good
friends who worked in a copper mill. The copper ore
they smelted had significant amounts of arsenic in it.
This led to a constant and dangerous exposure to
arsenic, they called it "white" or "white arsenic",
and they suffered from this. In my role as malcontent
and general troublemaker I helped some of the workers
try to change this, with some minor victories. During
the campaign to limit arsenic exposure one worker
started bringing his lunch to the smelter in a
converted rat poison box! As I recall the white
arsenic in the copper ore would sumblime when warm,
releasing arsenic "vapor" that could slip past the
stupid paper dust masks that the workers were told
would protect them. So I wonder if that's where some
of the arsenic comes into your experiment with
pennies. Dunno really, it's vacation and we shouldn't
think too much or our heads may explode.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh