Re: pinhole leaded crystal

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 10:31:38 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole leaded crystal
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:31:37 US/Pacific

Craig

"Crystal glass" is an oxymoron

in fact glassware that we call "crystal" is not crystalline it is glassy and is
made the same way as ordinary glass.

However it is made as follows according to the NY City college course brochure on
glass.

CRYSTAL GLASS
        Preparation:
        It is prepared by silica,lead oxide(PbO) potassium carbonate (K2CO3) and
CaCO3.
        Properties:
        It is heavy glass It is very expensive
        Uses :
        In decorative glass show piece

The addition of the lead makes the index of refraction of the "leaded" glass
higher.

Paul D