Your ideas/recommendations for a better school

From: Meghan Nolan (meghan_nolan@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 07:03:11 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 07:03:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Meghan Nolan <meghan_nolan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Your ideas/recommendations for a better school

Dear Pinhole,

I have been teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grade Math and
Science for two years (my first two years teaching) at
a Catholic School in San Francisco. Although it has
been a great learning experience, it has been less
than ideal (ie difficult) in several ways.

I am exhausted by the 6 preps and by the inability to
really focus on one area of Math or Science
(especially Science since I really love it, but it
seems impossible to teach Earth, Life and Physical
well every day). I am also the only teacher of Math
or Science at the Middle School level and am dying for
colleagues and/or mentors in the building (Thank GOD
for the Exploratorium TI!).

I am committed to finding a new teaching position (in
a different school) for next year (2003-2004) and I
want to get that process underway. To that end, I
would love to know about any school that could be a
really good fit in time to research and contact them
about openings for next year. I am working on getting
emergency credentialed and would welcome the chance to
work in a public school. I am most excited to find a
school that:

1- Sets up Math and Science in core blocks so that a
teacher teaches multiple sections at the same grade
level.

2- Has a supportive and collaborative Math/Science
department(s) of decent size (I have done two years
alone, so decent doesn't have to be too big to be an
improvement).

3- Has an administration that is relatively
teacher-focused and child-focused (as teacher and
child-focused as administrators can be and still get
their job done).

4- Ideally is close to Oakland or San Francisco.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can recommend a
school or schools!

And, BIG thanks again to all of the people I have
worked with and learned from at TI...you have made
what feels like an impossible situatmanageableable and
are the reason I am still fired up to teach at all!

Cheers!
Meghan