Limiting Reactant Demo

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 07:58:59 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:58:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Limiting Reactant Demo

It's a pretty common experiment to put baking soda in
a balloon and an acid, usually vinegar in elementary
school, in a plastic soda bottle. We've all seen how
the balloon filled with Carbon dioxide seems to
deflate over time much faster than a balloon filled
with air too.
Accidently lost track of one of these experiments as
it fell behind a box and was surprised to find, after
about a week that the balloon had been pulled into the
plastic bottle and the bottle had crushed flat (no,
the box did not fall on the bottle!). The crushing of
the plastic container isn't gonna happen if you use a
glass flask to do this. It was really odd as I
couldn't figure out why the balloon and bottle would
crush. Talked to "It's more complicated than that" and
he set me off on a quest to figure it out...guided
inquiry or something I guess. It always amazes me to
see it and I leave at least one of my experiments out
until it pulls the balloon into the bottle to vex and
concern my students.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh