source of smoke needed

From: Science Classroom (stf-lmorton@vom.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 15:30:35 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:30:35 -0800
From: Science Classroom <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
Subject: source of smoke needed

Pinholers:
A student of mine wants a considerable amount of smoke for use in his
science fair project on aerodynamics of a wing. He is blowing air over
wings with a fan and wants to make the smoke to make visible the flow of
air. Any ideas on a source of smoke. He's tried burning incense, sewing
machine oil, etc. Any suggestions, perhaps from the chemistry world?
An old "Magic With Chemistry" book I have mentions ammonium nitrate,
iodine crystals, zinc dust, and a few drops of water. Assuming I could
get the ingredients, would that be safe? The book was written in the
all-too-fun, but unenlightened days of the 60's.
Thanks,
Lou Morton
St. Francis Solano School, Sonoma