CO2 partial pressure

From: Jeff Furman (jfurman@ocs.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 14:31:03 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:31:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeff Furman <jfurman@ocs.net>
Subject: CO2 partial pressure

Neil, do you think the equilibrium issue relates to
the partial pressure of the distinct species in the
gas in the air vs. the single component of the gas
inside the baloon? CO2 has a low partial
pressure in air; statistical diffusion through the
baloon wants to balance the partial pressures. The
observation of the experiment suggests to me that CO2
permeates the baloon easier than other components (N2 and O2) in
air, so that N2 and O2 statistical balance take much
longer to achieve.
Jeff Furman

Subject: Re: pinhole Limiting
Reactant Demo From: <NFetter@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:21:12 EST

Hi Raleigh,
Is it possible that CO2 molecules interact with the rubber of a balloon? I
have never heard of this kind of reaction, but I suppose anything is
posssible. If they do, then the CO2 molecules may have a favored
diffusion
pathway through the skin of a rubber balloon. Have you ever tried this
experiment using a plastic party balloon--the kind that usually is filled
with helium? If the CO2 in the a rubber balloon were trying to reach
equilibrium with atmospheric CO2, the balloon would have to contain
millions
of tons of CO2.
Neil