(no subject)

From: Debbie Berlin (debbie_berlin@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 13:26:20 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:26:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Debbie Berlin <debbie_berlin@yahoo.com>

I have a physics problem and I'm at a loss for how to solve it. I really
want to solve it, though, since a student asked it and
it's the first time I've ever seen this student pumped
about anything even remotely academic. We imagined a
penny dropped from a sky scraper and ignored air
resistance (I know, I know). This student wants to
know how far the penny would penetrate the human body
if it hit someone on the head (flat side? on edge? we
didn't specify; we also ignored what would happen to
the person hanging out in a vacuum!). He'd settle for
figuring out how far it would go into concrete, but
I'm sure the teenage male in him would prefer the
body. I'm embarrassed, but I have no idea where to
send him for data and equations. Something to do with
Young's modulus? I thought maybe y'all might know. Any help would be apppreciated.

Thanks, Debbie