Re: Objects Dropped from Tall Buildings

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 00:04:16 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:04:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Objects Dropped from Tall Buildings

This whole testing out of a car thing has reminded me
that I once won a bet that the best way to carry a 12'
boat on my old Dodge truck canopy was "rightside up
and backwards". I used to go to the top of the long
hill coming out of Seattle and get my truck going as
close to 50 mph as possible and take it out of gear at
a particular sign. I'd check my rolling speed as I
coasted down the hill with the boat in different
configurations on my canopy, found that putting it
upside down and bow forward wasn't as aerodynamic as
"rightside up and backwards" on my truck. I gained
about 3 mph in a coastdown when comparing. It led to
some thinking that I was fairly weird (not a big
problem at the time, or now) and the boat would fill
with rain so I usually carried it the way people
thought it should be carried.

On the penny drop: I used to have a german air rifle
(it used pellets, kind of hour-glassed shaped) and
used it to "stun" robins and such to feed red-tailed
hawks I tried to care for (wanted them to eat live
food). I tried not to pump it up too much but once I
shot a robin and the pellet went straight through the
robins head...the pellets were pretty dangerous. When
I worked at the post office it was sometimes up in the
50-60 foot level of the steel structure in the roof
and I had a 3/4" washer fall and whack my supervisor.
He survived with a tiny bruise. I don't have anything
more to say about the incident.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh