Safety Goggle Sterilizing Cabinet (home made)

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 11:39:24 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:39:24 EST
Subject: Safety Goggle Sterilizing Cabinet (home made)

In a message dated 1/23/03 11:21:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pinhole@exploratorium.edu writes:

> Subject: sterilizing cabinet
> From: "Geoff Ruth" <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 06:36:26 -0800
>
> Has anyone ever built a goggle-sterilizing cabinet or seen plans for
> building one? My school can't fork out the $400+ that they cost, but
> it seems like something that might be a doable summer project
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff

Greetings Geoff:

I made my sterilizing cabinet from an old metal kitchen cabinet obtained for
$6 from Urban Ore in Berkeley. I put a new coat of white paint inside and
out then mounted pegs to hold the safety goggles on the inside back after the
shelves were removed. The germicidal UV lamps were easy to get and worked in
regular fluorescent lamp holders I picked up at Home Depot. Also at HD I
picked up a timer to turn the lamps off after a period of time so the cabinet
would not run continuously. Interlocks on the doors were added so that the
UV could not be generated while the doors were open. The whole project was
less than $50 which I paid myself because cheap SFUSD could not find the
money in the budget (each teacher was allotted a magnificent sum of $36 per
year for all classes combined). If you need more details, I will supply them.

Al Sefl
Mr. Germ Conscious himself...
Thirty-three years of teaching without a major student injury...
Except to some of their GPAs...