explo electronic guidebook project

From: Karen Mendelow Nelson (karenm@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 12:39:54 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:39:54 -0800
From: Karen Mendelow Nelson <karenm@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: explo electronic guidebook project

exploratorium
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
www.exploratorium.edu

January 21, 2003

Dear Educator,

Last Spring, researchers at the Exploratorium tested the Electronic
Guidebook, a wireless handheld device that contained Exploratorium science
content. Visitors, teachers, and Explainers could use this handheld to
learn more ways to play with exhibits, see explanations, and learn about
the history of exhibits. Please see ou project webpage for more
information: http://www.exploratorium.edu/guidebook.

We are beginning our second research project on the Electronic Guidebook
and need feedback from educators who would be willing to help us think
through and critique some possible scenarios of use.

We are investigating what kinds of tools and resources educators would need
before, during, and after museum visits, and ways in which The Electronic
Guidebook and associated Web-based tools could facilitate teaching and
learning science. We are looking for teachers who have some familiarity
with the Internet and who would be willing to spend about an hour to
critique our designs and lesson plans for how to use a handheld to bridge
classroom instruction and museum visits.

Would you be willing to meet with me and others to critique and brainstorm
scenarios? If so, I will call you to schedule a time to meet at your school
or workplace. Alternatively, we can schedule a time that you can visit The
Exploratorium.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Sherry Hsi, Ph.D.