Re: elestrostatics paradise!

From: Roy Mayeda (roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 06:18:52 PST

Date: 07 Feb 2003 08:18:52 -0600
From: Roy Mayeda <roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: elestrostatics paradise!

Hi Eric.

You crazy guy, you! I guess I'd challenge your definition of "super dry and cold out" here in the Great North! :-) As I sit here writing, the temp outside this morning is a balmy -15 F (-26 C) with a wind chill to about -30 F (-34 C). We haven't quite gotten to that point yet this year, but I've seen the demo done by a weatherman here where a cup of steaming coffee is thrown into the air and completely evaporates so no liquid hits the ground. Neat trick. Ever seen a Coke machine with a HEATER in it? :-) They've got 'em here.

As far as the chained class discharge deal, I seem to remember an anecdote from a TI workshop where a teacher had a student lose feeling in one arm for several days. The student recovered and no lawsuit was filed, but there is apparently some danger. I do remember making the little film can capacitors with a freshman class years ago, and watching the students (mostly boys!) compete to see who could stand the most shock without admitting pain. Ah, the joys of youth!

Enjoy!

Roy Mayeda
Sauk Centre HS
Sauk Centre, MN