(no subject)

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 00:57:30 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:57:30 EST
Subject: (no subject)

Dear Paraluman:

Rubber products deteriorate from heat, light (especially with high amounts of
UV), exposure to air, and excessive moisture. A refrigerator inside is cool,
dark, and dry. By putting the rubber bands into the cool environment you are
slowing the oxidation reaction in them. The coolness preserves the rubber.
The darkness prevents the photoreactions from breaking down the molecular
bonds that give the rubber its elastic properties. If you live in Hawaii
with a powerful sun above then there is some sense in preserving the rubber
bands in the fridge.

I have sitting next to me a bag of Alliance #19 rubber bands from about 1993.
 They have been protected from the sun by being in a drawer but have turned
dark from oxidation on the outside. They have been in an ambient temperature
of 20 degrees C during the entire time I have owned them. All are still
usable. When the newspaper is delivered and I leave it out for a few days
when I am away the rubber bands are crusty and ready to break on the side
facing the sunlight. So, the effect of light and heat has a demonstrable
difference on rubber band life.

Rubber bands are not the only rubber product that would benefit from being
out of the heat and sunlight. If you have seen people who live where there
is bright sunshine put covers on the wheels of cars or motorhomes that will
be parked for some time then you are seeing them protect the rubber in the
tires from that sunlight and heat.

Hope that helps answer the question,

Al Sefl
Who is always in the refrigerator for other things...
Most likely with a label that says chocolate somewhere on it...

PS: In my health class I told my students to store their condoms in the
fridge for the same reasons. ;-)