Re: Coke

From: Roy Mayeda (roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 13:15:12 PST

Date: 21 Feb 2003 15:15:12 -0600
From: Roy Mayeda <roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Coke

The list of "facts" that was given regarding the properties of Coke is printed pretty much verbatim on an "urban legends" page.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Not sure how reliable these references are either, but I have to admit that most of this stuff is pretty clearly put out there to trash Coke. Hopefully no one would be foolish enough to pour large amounts of syrup over clothing or car parts anyway. And I've worked with the syrup -- no, it doesn't require haz-mat labeling. Usually any haz-mat warning on those trucks would refer to the compressed gas cylinders they carry. (The gas is just CO2, but any pressurized gas cylinder has some warning for fire crew use.)

I'm a UC grad and always encouraged students to go to any UC school, so I hate to "dis" Davis. However, I recall one person allegedly from their faculty (in animal behavior) appearing on the news touting the "jackrabbit roundup" to move the animals off a parcel being developed so they could safely go and be with "their friends in the next field." We ecologists know that every one of those jacks was either eaten, roadkilled, or starved in the next week or so, or displaced another one that was. He had apparently missed the concept of carrying capacity. Anyway, I've known teachers and professors to forward their agendas as "facts" to students. Hopefully we can avoid this tendency and try to keep promoting thinking rather than sensationalism. (Is that a word?)

Roy Mayeda
Sauk Centre HS
Sauk Centre, MN