Re: Coke

From: Roy Mayeda (roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 13:28:53 PST

Date: 21 Feb 2003 15:28:53 -0600
From: Roy Mayeda <roy_mayeda@isd743.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Coke

Sorry to post separately again. Just found the other part of the list of properties online (about water). It comes from an advertisement for a "Relaxation and Medical Massage" provider, so I'm thinking those numbers are suspect as well.

http://www.deepbluemassage.com/faq/water.htm

Though I do recognize their logo, and I think we have a little porpoise-shaped massager from them that seems to work nicely anyway.

I think the instructor of that "health" class should probably go back and do some actual "research" before teaching another class. I hope the entire class was not composed of urban legends and advertisements. :-( Often, if we hear what we like we do not question. I do not mean to say that all these figures are incorrect, but that we must always question as scientists. Question source reliability, question interpretations, always look deeper into information or observations.

One of my physics students did not obtain the "expected" results on a lab. He asked me if he should just explain what "should have happened". I told him of course not! Either we have done something differently than stated, have not accounted for one or more other variables, have faulty equipment, or have made the wrong assumption (wrong expectations). Our job now was to figure out the cause(s) of the discrepancies and refine our model/experiments.

Okay, the soapbox is collapsing under my exercise-deprived frame ... Maybe I need a Coke? :-)

Roy Mayeda
Sauk Centre HS
Sauk Centre, MN