Summer Program - COSMOS

From: Ben Pittenger (benpittenger@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 06:25:42 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:25:42 -0800 (GMT)
From: Ben Pittenger <benpittenger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Summer Program - COSMOS

There is a summer program out of UC Santa Cruz (and other UC sites) called COSMOS. check out http://epc.ucsc.edu/cosmos/index.html

From their webpage:

What is COSMOS?

Designed specifically for talented and motivated students completing grades 8-12, the California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science is a 4-week summer residential program for young scholars with demonstrated interest and achievement in math and science. This intensive experience is intended to encourage the brightest and most promising young minds to continue their interest in these fields. Located on three University of California campuses (Davis, Irvine, and Santa Cruz), COSMOS provides students with an unparalleled opportunity to work side-by-side with outstanding researchers and university faculty, covering topics that extend beyond the typical high school curriculum.

. . .

UC Santa Cruz faculty and researchers have created courses in exciting topics including Astronomy, Ocean Science, and Robotics. Students will learn from the experts in the field and have interactive, hands-on experiences in university labs and facilities.

I often hand my motivated students the COSMOS video for them to take home and view. Often I'll give it to a group of friends who I think would get collectively excited about it. Although I teach middle school, I have found that the seed stays put and interest carries over for years. I had one of my ex-students attend last summer and she came back thouroughly thrilled at the experience. Her parents were thrilled as well.

Ben Pittenger