Re: pinhole Falling off the earth

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 15:09:39 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:09:39 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Falling off the earth

Hi Jhumki

You can measure this force although it is too small to feel

It is directed out away from the rotation axis of the earth and at the
equator it redices your weight measured by a scale by 1/300 or for me about
1/2 pound compared to the reading at the poles.

The solar acceleration is much smaller, a = v^2/r where r the orbital
radius of earth is over a hundred million kilometers. Even though v is
large.

Paul D