falling off the earth

From: Mark Lawton (markslawton@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 12:11:18 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:11:18 -0800
Subject: falling off the earth
From: Mark Lawton <markslawton@hotmail.com>

Hi Jhumki,

This is how I think about the fact that I do not feel like I am falling off
the earth:

There is a certain amount of force (the centripetal force) required to keep
me going in a circle. Gravity not only provides this force but also pulls
me in with some extra force. So, I feel like I am being pulled into the
earth. Hence my feet hurt when standing on them all day.

So, it would be tangentially correct to say that you notice the effect of
your inertia by the fact that your feet hurt. Your body wants to fly off
straight but the earth keeps pulling it in (both to make it go in a circle
and to give you the sensation that you are "grounded")

Regards,
Mark