Total Lunar Eclipse, May 15th - Costa Rica

From: Alejandra León-Castellá (leonale@racsa.co.cr)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 07:51:19 PST

Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:51:19 -0600
From: Alejandra León-Castellá <leonale@racsa.co.cr>
Subject: Total Lunar Eclipse, May 15th - Costa Rica

  Greetings from Costa Rica!

We have been preparing for the Total Lunar Eclipses this year -May 15th and
Nov. 8th for our country- both observable from most parts of the United
States,
among other countries in the Western hemisphere.

Here is our new web page in Spanish on the phenomena:
http://cientec.or.cr/astronomia/eclipses2003.html

We are studying different ways to promote the followup of this event and
apreciate suggestions and interesting web links.

We have been visiting different regions of the country doing Teacher
workshops
and evening programs for the communities. Main themes included:
     * Types of eclipses - geometry of the Lunar Eclipse
     * Phases of the Moon
     * Moon & Earth scale
     * Light composition and refraction
     * Lunar eclipse effects: myths (pregnate women, dermatological
effects, etc.) and earth tides.

Last, in California the moon will raised when the eclipse is already in
it's partial or even total phase, but this first Lunar Eclipse of the
year offers 53 minutes of totality. So good luck in your latitudes with
the clouds, the biggest threat.
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OH2003.html

Alejandra Leon Castella
Fundacion CIENTEC