string machine

From: Bill Taylor (bt4_1284@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 20:00:31 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:00:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Bill Taylor <bt4_1284@yahoo.com>
Subject: string machine

In my Physcis class I had two kids each build a string machine from
"Square Wheels" for extra credit. Thjey both followed directions well and
did a good job. We can demonstrate waves of various patterns from one to
five or six nodes. However, many of these patterns are not stable, and /
or aren't pure sine waves. I've tried playiug with the orientation of the
motors in three dimensions with varying success. Any ideas? How do we
know of the motors are going at exactly the same speeds?

Bill Taylor
Physics Teacher
Drew High School

=====