Re: pinhole got bismuth?

From: John or Jan Lahr (johnjan@lahr.org)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 20:44:28 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:44:28 -0700
From: John or Jan Lahr <johnjan@lahr.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole got bismuth?

It was tricky getting the right lighting and angle, but I managed to get
a photograph of the distortion of the surface of a dish of water by a
magnetic field.

http://jjlahr.com/science/physics/diamag/water/

I think graphite is better than water or bismuth for demonstrating
diamagnetism.
See: http://jjlahr.com/science/physics/diamag/glev/

A good source for graphite is pencil lead.
See: http://jjlahr.com/science/physics/diamag/seismo/

and, in particular: http://jjlahr.com/science/physics/diamag/seismo/leads.html

Also, SciToys (see link below) carries Pyrolytic Graphite, which is highly
diamagnetic, at a very reasonable price.

Cheers,
John Lahr
Golden, CO