do you have more unknown stuff?

From: Eric Muller (emuller@isaac.exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 15:45:16 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:45:16 -0800
From: Eric Muller <emuller@isaac.exploratorium.edu>
Subject: do you have more unknown stuff?

Hey Pinholers,
The first item was successfully identified (I think.).
Does anybody have more stuff to identify in their storage area?
____________________________
____________________________

What is this stuff?
Do you have equipment quandaries?

Do you have stuff around your science classroom or storage area that
you don't know what it is or how to use it?

If you have a question about stuff at your school, send a digital
picture or short digital movie of it to us.

There are some great people on pinhole* that can look at your old
science equipment, recognize it, figure out it's intended use and let
you know what you can do with it.

What to do if you have a mystery object:
Images and movies must be sent via email. Since Pinholers will be
viewing these images on their home computers, file size matters!

1. Take a digital picture or movie of your object.

Pictures:
Pictures should be no larger than 640 by 480 pixels (we can crop them
if necessary)
Pictures should be in standard jpg, jpeg or gif formats.
File size should be under 150k

Movies:
Digital movies should only be a few seconds long (we don't want to crop these)
Movies should be in standard mov, avi, mpg or mpeg formats.
File size should be under 500k

2. Email mail your images to us.
a. Email Address:
DO NOT send them to Pinhole (The listserve software can not handle
your images).
DO NOT reply to this email.
Send them to:
                emuller@exploratorium.edu
b. Send them as an attachment.
c. Write something that might help Pinholers identify your object and
help put it in context.
Like:
"I found this in my chemistry store room"
"This was in a box labeled convection"
"The label said "picric" something and it's part liquid and part crystals"
"This might have been alive at one time, I don't know"
"It says petrified and I'm afraid! It looks just like a rock, but I'm stumped."

Include:
Disciple you think it might belong with: chemistry, biology, physicsŠ
Warning labels?
Does it have a plug? Does it list voltage or current requirements?
Etc.

Also, you can give a guess as to what you think it might be.

d. Include your name, school and return email address.

The site is located at:

www.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/show_and_tell

--
Eric Muller