job opening for Spring '03

From: Burt Kessler (bcomet@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 10:37:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Burt Kessler <bcomet@yahoo.com>
Subject: job opening for Spring '03

Because of impending surgery, I will be unable to
finish this school year. My school is looking for a
long term substitute from May 1 through June 13.
Salary is competitive based on experience, at
independent school rates (generally higher than public
school salaries). The position includes 3 sections of
8th grade Life Science (the entire 8th grade) and one
section of 7th grade Physical Science. Each section
has 20-24 students.

Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Dr.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
510-527-4714
burt@prospectsierra.org

Prospect Sierra is an independent private school,
academically oriented and progressive in philosophy.
The school motto: Developing Heart, Mind, and
Community; describes the school well. The school
community is very supportive. This includes faculty,
staff, administration, and parents. The science lab
is well equipped and Jonathan Cohen, the other 7th
grade science teacher, will guide the Physical Science
curriculum, probably Light.

The curriculum for the 8th grade Life Science course
is wide open. I generally allow the students to
choose the final topic of the the year after I finish
my set curriculum with evolution. The students have a
solid grounding in biochemistry, cells, and genetics.
This is an opportunity to come in and teach a 5 week
stand alone unit with some highly motivated, well
prepared 8th graders. Some suggested topics might
include: Drugs and the Nervous System, Ecology or
Environmental Science (the year has focused on
molecular and cell bio), any subset of anatomy or
physiology, taxonomy or a survey of the 5 Kingdoms or
a focus on any particular taxa. Almost any topic that
can be taught with some hands on and /or inquiry based
pedagogy would be well received.

If you know someone looking for a full time position
for the end of this school year, please let them know
about this. they can contact me directly at the email
address above, or inquire about the school by calling
the office or the Middle School Director Laurette
Cestare at eh phone number above.

Thank you,

Burt Kessler