magnetic fields

From: Eric Friedman (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 11:02:30 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Eric Friedman <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: magnetic fields

hello all,

we're doing some an experiment in trying to measure
the magnetic field stregnth of some magnets using
vernier magnetic field sensors. we're getting some
interesting and curious results when we look at
rare-earth (neodymium) magnets. when looking at some
small disc magnets, we notice that the field hardly
represents a magnetic dipole.

if anyone knows what's really happening with these
super strong magnets, i'm sure we'd all be eager to
learn. anything you know about how they are made,
what the fields look like, how they can be so
impossibly strong, etc. would be welcomed.

thanks
--eric