summer jobs

From: Tory Brady (toryb@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 17:21:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:21:49 -0700
From: Tory Brady <toryb@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: summer jobs

Pinholers-- If you still are looking for gainful employment for the summer:

Dear Friends,

I am writing to seek your help in finding applicants for two summer school
positions in Emeryville (attached are job descriptions and application
form.)

The summer school that we are creating is a part of our long-term reform
effort in Emeryville. The summer school has multiple purposes. First: to
help students who have not yet passed the high school exit to improve their
chances of passing the exam AND to provide them with RICH, ENJOYABLE
learning experiences that will help them to be successful in school.
 Thus -- we seek teachers who are willing to work in a cross-disciplinary
team (math-science - language arts) We will use science (mainly physics --
forces and motion concepts) to provide context and experiences for
mathematics and for writing and reading. We will also make extensive use of
the Key Curriculum Press program, "Fathom" for analyzing data and helping
students to see the math connections. Our other purpose is to provide
teachers with an opportunity to improve their skills -- especially to
provide an opprotunity to explore teaching in an interdisciplicnary setting.

Dates: June 23 - July 24 for students (6 hours/day student time = 120 hr.)
In addition, teachers have one hour per day Planning time and 3 days
professional development/planning before summer school starts. Pay is $30
per hour for combined instruction and planning.PD time.

Enrollment: 40 students -- 4 teachers -- 1 full-time math lab aid -- onsite
coach/ program coordinator, parttime help from Alameda County Office of
Education math and literacy coaches to work with Studnet Work Profile
software. So -- high adult/student rato -- opportunity to work with
sutdents in very small groups or even individually.

Please pass this information on to anyone you know who might be a good
candidate for either the math or math/science position. If anyone has any
questions have them call me at: 510-530-7893 (office) or 510-388-2108
(cell).

Thanks much,

Carol

Carol A Balfe