Re: Science Made Stupid

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 14:17:16 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:17:16 -0700
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Re: Science Made Stupid

I wish to second Raleigh's enthusiasm for the Journal of Irreproducible
Results. One can actually subscribe to this quarterly wonder at:
http://www.jir.com/ You can also read some sample articles there, plus
the website includes the igNobel awards. I gave a gift subscription to my
husband a few years ago, so I get to read it, too. Each issue has a
"theme"; two issues ago, the theme was "Art and Science". If you've ever
worked in a molecular biology lab, or do mb labs in your school and have
used the automatic pipetters ("Pipetman") you will appreciate the article
"Das Zauber Pipette" which is an opera in which a graduate student
navigates through many flaming hoops to finally be awarded the (giant)
magic pipette. Great photos, too, you'd truly think it was real and not a
spoof.

---Karen K

Karen E. Kalumuck, Ph.D.
Biologist/Educator