light-generating reactions...

From: Jennie Brotman (jbrotman52@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 08:21:10 PDT

From: "Jennie Brotman" <jbrotman52@hotmail.com>
Subject: light-generating reactions...
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:21:10 -0700

hi,
my 8th graders are working on our end of the year "invention convention" and
one group wants to find a chemical reaction that generates light for part of
their project. they've researched glow sticks and found out that the
chemicals involved are hydrogen peroxide and phenyl oxalate ester. they
can't find phenyl oxalate ester anywhere, and I don't know a thing about
it...do you? does anyone know a safe, inexpensive way to do a
light-generating reaction like this with 8th graders?? i'm thinking i should
just encourage them to experiment with light bulbs instead, but i thought
i'd check here first....
thanks a lot!
jennie