Re: pinhole Geology

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 15:52:24 PDT

Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 15:52:24 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole Geology

Here are a few cool spots that I like:

1. Ft Funston beach -- you can see massive landsliding, that started
in '89 after the earthquake changed the water table. Also at Ft
Funston, you can see echinoderm mollusc fossils in the Purisima
Formation, which is pretty amazing.

2. The radiolarian chert beds on the road that goes up to the top of
the headlands, immediately beyond the GG Bridge is amazing, for
seeing very very tight folds in clearly bedded rock. I think Clyde
Wahrhaftig mentions this in Subway to Subduction. There are also some
cool chert beds on O'Shaughnessy Blvd that goes up behind Glen Park

3. Sibley in the E Bay has some cool volcanic rocks, although they're
quite weathered.

4. This is a bit more obscure, but if you go to the NW shoulder of Mt
Tam -- you have to hike a ways to get there -- you can find an area
where the serpentine bedrock has stunted all the trees. It's amazing
to see common tree species at one-tenth their normal size. If you're
interested in getting there, e-mail me and I can try to send you in
the right direction.