Re: pinhole Geology

From: Andrew Coblentz (acsl@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 16:24:26 PDT

From: "Andrew Coblentz" <acsl@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Geology
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 16:24:26 -0700

The book is "Streetcar to Subduction" by Clyde Wahraftig of the UC Berkeley Geology Department. I suggest the following spots:

Marin Headlands--Great views of the Franciscan formation of folded chert and graywacke. Go to the Point Bonita lighthouse to see great examples of pillow basalt.

Mussel Rock--Located on the border of Daly City and Pacifica, it marks where the San Andreas fault goes offshore. If you look up at the cliffs, you can see indications of landslides which occurred a few years ago, causing a number of houses to be condemned. There are some great articles on the history of the Mussel Rock area.

Fort Funston--On the beach below the hang gliding site, there is a great stratigraphic profile of the Merced Formation. You can actually see remnants of mollusks in the strata.

You should also get a copy of San Francisco Bay Area Geological Walks by Ted Konigsberg.