Biomass Pyramids and decomposers ...

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 21:36:42 PDT

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:36:42 EDT
Subject: Biomass Pyramids and decomposers ...

Greetings One and All,

For as long as I can remember ... OK, quit chortling, I have always taught
the concept of decomposers when explaining food chains and food webs as part
of the cycle. When teaching biomass pyramids, I taught how this represents
the energy available in a system and how it could be utilized ... and now I
am a bit confused after seeing something totally foreign to me.

A colleague put the decomposers on the top of the biomass pyramid and that
does not make sense to me. I could see them being mentioned at each level of
the pyramid, perhaps, but not at the top. Maybe that is why I have never been
taught them to be attached to a biomass pyramid. OK, where am I going adrift?
HELP!

OK ALL OF YOU BIOLOGISTS OUT THERE ... WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO TEACH THIS
CONCEPT ... HMMMMM??? And while I am begging, do you have any wonderful
websites you can offer on the subject? Hmmmmm???

Please and THANK YOU!

Sue Pritchard