Re: hydrogen gas

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 10:30:41 PDT

Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 10:30:41 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: hydrogen gas

Thanks, Roy, for the advice on generating H2 gas. I was able to
create a smallish balloon of H2 using the Zn/acid method suggested
by Roy. Below are some tips that I found in doing it:

* I actually found that mossy Zn didn't work -- it was too slow in
generating H2 to fill the balloon. Instead, I used some powdered Zn
that I had, which worked well.

* I used H2SO4 instead of HCl (since I had some handy in the acid
cabinet) and I inadvertently created H2S as well as H2. I later
looked up all voltaic potentials in the CRC and found the complicated
mechanism that H2S was generated from the reaction. So it's important
to use HCl, because it's much less of an oxidizing agent than either
H2SO4 or HNO3.

* Also -- I did the whole thing in a tiny 50mL E flask, to minimize
air space and therefore decrease the pressurization problem Roy
mentioned.

-- Geoff