Approximations of Rube Goldberg --

From: Jo Falcon (jofalcon@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 10:46:56 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jo Falcon <jofalcon@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Approximations of Rube Goldberg --

The Learning Studio has recently acquired two of the "Junkyard Wars"
videos, the Goldberg Variation of the 2000s (what ~do~ we call this
decade?): "Flying Machine" and "Amphibious Vehicle."

You know, of course, that we've got a book of Rube's cartoons -- "Rube
Goldberg : inventions," with intro by Maynard Frank Wolfe -- and the
classic film "The Way Things Go." That's the one Honda copied in its
impressive but ungrateful "Cog" commercial:

        http://home.attbi.com/~bernhard36/honda-ad.html

(which really should have credited Peter Fischli and David Weiss for the
idea).

http://www.rube-goldberg.com/ is a good place to start, but Google offers
almost 4,000 hits on "rube goldberg contest" alone, and when you remove the
word "contest..."

I'm personally delighted most by the fact that one of Goldberg's first
drafting jobs, before he made it as a cartoonist, was as a designer for
the San Francisco sewer system. Explains a lot, eh?

Jo Falcon, MLIS
The Exploratorium Learning Studio
415 561-0343
"We unscrew the inscrutable."