Oportunity for teachers

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 14:36:35 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:36:35 -0700
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Oportunity for teachers

Hello, Pinholers!

This was forwarded to me by our Public Programs person.....could be a way
to supplement your incomes! I know nothing about it except what you see
here, so direct any questions to the originator. Enjoy!---Karen K

My name is Innbo Shim and I work with Jean Cheng on the educational
companion web site to RACE - The Power of an Illusion (launched April
14, 2003). We are currently looking for more lesson plans demonstrating
some of the science concepts of our film. Would you know anyone who may
be interested in developing lesson plans related to the mtDNA lab
featured in Episode 1 and/or race & genetics/evolution/biology?

We are offering $300 per lesson plan. We would like lesson plans to
illustrate the following concepts (taken from the For Teacher's intro
page on our web site):

Title: Exploring Genetic Similarity and Difference
Grade levels: 10th grade through sophomore year in college
Subjects: Biology, Genetics
that illustrate why human races are not biologically definable
categories. Labs and classroom activities will be complemented with an
overview of the history of racial science and its social consequences.
Students will learn the following key concepts: (a) People do not fall
into biologically distinct racial groups; (b) Race is impossible to
define in a stable, consistent way; (c) Genes and traits are inherited
non-concordantly (independently of one another), so having one trait
does not imply the existence of others; (d) There is more variation
within groups than between groups - nearly all variations in genetic
traits occur within so-called races rather than between them; (e) Human
traits vary clinally (or continuously) across geographic areas; (f)
Modern humans are a recent species, and we are all "mongrels."

Ideally, we would like to have complete lesson plans posted by the
beginning/middle of June. We're asking potential lesson plan developers
to give us a brief outline or paragraph describing the lesson they have
in mind. If we decide to proceed from there, he/she would have 2-3 weeks
to give us the first draft and we would spend another week or so working
with them on any edits if necessary.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to forward this e-mail
to anyone you think might be interested. See below for more information
on the web site. Thank you.

Best,
Innbo

Visit our web site at http://www.pbs.org/race. Some highlights include:

* SORTING PEOPLE - see if you can classify people into races just by
looking at them!

* HUMAN DIVERSITY - what are some reasons why it doesn't make sense to
sort people into biological races? Learn about human migration,
ancestry, and the actual distribution of physical traits.

* WHERE RACE LIVES - how does race affect people's life opportunities
and how does segregation perpetuate economic inequality?

* ASK THE EXPERTS - what do you want to know about race? Ask our team of
scholars!

* FOR TEACHERS - lesson plans and "teaching tips" for educators

* CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS - find out when the series is airing in your neck
of the woods

Innbo Shim
California Newsreel
500 Third Street, Suite 505
San Francisco, CA 94107
T: (415) 284-7800
F: (415) 284-7801
Visit the companion site to RACE - The Power of an Illusion at
http://www.pbs.org/race

Karen E. Kalumuck, Ph.D.
Biologist/Educator
Exploratorium Teacher Institute