Wyland Ocean Challenge 2003

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 06:45:41 PDT

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:45:41 EDT
Subject: Wyland Ocean Challenge 2003

I received this notice from Steve Creech of the Wyland Foundation and was
asked to pass it on.

I hope it is helpful to many.

Take care,
Sue Pritchard

I'm writing you today in the hope that you will help spread the word through
the CSTA about a unique science program. In fall 2003, the Scripps
Institution of Oceanography <http://sio.ucsd.edu/> (University of
California, San Diego), the Birch Aquarium at Scripps
<http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/> and the Wyland <http://www.wyland.com>
Foundation will introduce the Wyland Ocean Challenge, "Clean Water for the
21st Century," a new marine life art and science educational curriculum
available free to every classroom, K-6, in the United States. The program
meets all national standards for science and art, and is filled with art
activities, case studies, and science experiments to teach students about
the wonder of water on our planet. The program is explained in more detail
at http://www.wylandoceanchallenge.org

This program was designed by teachers, working hand in hand with scientists,
and conservationists such as Wyland to encourage creative exploration of our
planet's water systems. It is completely non-profit, and as such we are
dependent upon association's such as yours to let teachers know about our
web site where they can get free downloadable activities and classroom
materials. Our past programs have been supported by such people as United
Nations Secretary General Kofi Anaan, vice president Al Gore, and scientists
such as National Geographic's Dr. Sylvia Earle and Robert Ballard.

The program uses the Landmark Understanding by Design* methodology of
integrated curriculum (Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe, Association for
Supervision and Curriculum Development, Alexandria, VA, 1998.) by
identifying and creating units to support enduring knowledge. Each activity
has been designed to support the National Science Education Standards and
National Visual Arts Standards, and is presented in a way that is both
meaningful — and captivating. Through scientific inquiry, creativity, service
learning, and cooperative study methods, the activities give students the
confidence to learn more fully, express themselves more creatively, and to become
stewards in the preservation of the water systems of our planet.

Again, if you can, we ask only that you help us tell teachers about this
landmark program by visiting our web site at
http://www.wylandoceanchallenge.org. If you have any questions, or would
like to speak with an educator from Scripps or the Birch Aquarium, please
call me at 949/643-7070 ext. 283 or Virginia Lenac at ext 269.

Sincerely,

Steve Creech

Thank you,
Steve Creech
Wyland Foundation
949/ 643-7070, ext. 283

PS. Here is a quicktime link viewable on MS Explorer from a recent
interactive painting event
http://www.wylandfoundation.org/wyatbirchvideo.html or to learn more about
the 501c3 non-profit Wyland Foundation, click here
<http://www.wylandfoundation.org>