RE: Fwd: Volcano Demonstration Question

From: William (exhibits@catawbascience.org)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 15:33:43 PDT

From: William <exhibits@catawbascience.org>
Subject: RE: Fwd: Volcano Demonstration Question
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:33:43 -0400

Kay & Madeliene
I believe the sodium bicarbonate mixture one was the standard "kids" model
demo that was done when I was going through school. It doesn't give you a
good explosion but it does give you a continuous "lava" flow. Any acid and
base will do, but vinegar and baking soda are the standard.

http://www.sunsationalkids.com/scienprojvol.html
or....(not sure about the following link....
www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlscif/searchresults.cfm?searchterm=348&type=b -
28k -
www.volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/frequent_questions/grp13/question1509.html

Of course to make it explode a bit more....simply make sure it's all in a
central tube, and cap the tube with something (a really small version
could use those little plastic containers film comes in). A great cap
would probably be something like a dried red sugary compound. Hmmm....if
you really wanted to do that type of cap you could probably use a
hypodermic needle (into the cap) to insert the vinegar onto the baking
soda...or use a small container in the base that mixed when you shook
it...that way you could "paste" the cap into place...that one would take a
fair amount of finesse though...

Do a Google search of "baking soda volcano science project" and you'll
probably see a long list....

-William

William Katzman "The important thing is to never stop
questioning." -A. Einstein
Director of Exhibits "Are you sure about that Al?" -His wife.
Catawba Science Center
ph: (828) 322-8169 x307
fax:(828) 322-1585
exhibits@catawbascience.org