Re: Volcano Demonstration Question

From: Chuck Britton (britton@ncssm.edu)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 18:38:59 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 21:38:59 -0400
From: Chuck Britton <britton@ncssm.edu>
Subject: Re: Volcano Demonstration Question

When our daughter was in the fifth grade, the 'volcano' unit came up
but she didn't want to do the 'usual' baking soda + vinegar. She had
been caving with us and knew a LITTLE bit about the 'Carbide Lamps'
that we used.

Needless to say, the teacher was QUITE amazed when she poured a bit
of water into her model volcano and asked him to light it.

MUCH stringy, greasy soot produced along with the flames. There
probably weren't any smoke detectors or sprinkler systems in the
schools way back then.

--