Job Openings - San Lorenzo High School

From: aaron vanderwerff (vndrwrff@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 11:56:14 PDT

From: "aaron vanderwerff" <vndrwrff@hotmail.com>
Subject: Job Openings - San Lorenzo High School
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:56:14 -0500

We have openings for 3 full time positions: Chemistry, Biology, and
Physical Science (introductory Science class).

If you have questions about these jobs or would like to apply please contact
Jessica Neely at:
jneely@slzusd.org

A school/department description follows:
San Lorenzo High School Vision Statement: “San Lorenzo High School is a
place where motivated students, whose rich diversity is appreciated and
celebrated, experience a flexible, personalized and innovative educational
program that provides all students with access to the core curriculum and
ample personal and academic support to enable them to reach their full
potential as learners and citizens. These opportunities to develop are
provided by an especially student-oriented staff, which is committed to
continuous improvement of the educational program by examining data on
student outcomes and reflecting on instructional practice in an open and
collegial work environment. Conversations within academic departments,
between different departments, with other high schools, as well as
articulation with both sender middle schools and receiver institutions of
higher learning, are highly valued so that the staff stays current on the
latest research and technical advances in the profession of education.”

The science department at San Lorenzo High School is a department in an
exciting state of change. We are looking to add more teachers committed to
working collaboratively on curriculum as well as create a department vision.
  We currently envision hiring new members in a variety of fields.

Our present course offerings/requirements: Physical Science and Health are
the 2 classes our freshman take, followed by Biology 1 in the 10th grade.
The current requirement to graduate is one additional science class beyond
these three. However, UC and State schools require more science courses
including lab a based curriculum. Students have a variety of choices once
they complete Biology 1: Biology 2(lab), Physics(lab), Chemistry(lab),
Environmental Science, Forensics, Astronomy, Anatomy/Physiology(lab), and AP
Chemistry(lab).

We are on a block schedule. 4 classes meet everyday for 1.5 hours each and
cover a years worth of material in one semester (teachers teach 3 classes
per day). At the midpoint of the year, students and teachers begin all new
classes.